Push-Nachrichten von MacTechNews.de
Würden Sie gerne aktuelle Nachrichten aus der Apple-Welt direkt über Push-Nachrichten erhalten?
Forum>Software>Yosemite on an iMac late 2008?!

Yosemite on an iMac late 2008?!

McMillfromGer9511.08.1419:06
Hey, I know yosemite is only available as a Betaversion but I am very curious if someone has tried it on an iMac from 2007 (7,1). I have Mavericks installed on my iMac 7,1 and it works okay but it is already a little bit slow when you really use it... like when you have more than four programs running at the same time... So, would you recommend to upgrade an iMac 7,1 to OS X Yosemite?

Thanks for your answers!

iMac 7,1, 20 inch, late 2007, 2 GHz core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Umfrage

Upgrade to OS X 10.10 for old Macs?

• Yes, its worth it and won´t affect the performance badly
    75,0 %
  • No, its going to slow it down too much
    25,0 %

Kommentare

cybermike
cybermike11.08.1421:49
Upgrade Your iMac with a built in SSD and it will perform perfectly
„Responsibility implemented“
Krypton11.08.1422:29
According to some testers, Yosemite runs as “smooth” as Mountain-Lion, so you probably could get a similar experience out of your ageing Mac. If you really want to keep it, you should at least upgrade the RAM to 6 GB (one 2 GB module and one 4 GB module) and an internal SSD as cybermike suggested. Then you should be able to use the Mac another one or two years from now.

As the memory type is quite old, it’s not cheap anymore. A 4 GB SO-DIMM cost around 75 Euros, a 250 GB SSD about 110 € which are in sum 185 Euros.

According to mac2sell.net , your iMac is worth about 330 Euros, so the upgrade cost is quite high. As the Mac is already 7 years old, it also would be a good idea, to sell it and buy a new(er) Model, which should be able to handle Yosemite quite well.

On your mac, both, the Processor and the aged graphics card are on their limit. The Radeon 2400 is slow even for Mavericks and currently doesn’t support every feature, Maverics or Yosemite could offer. Maybe the new GUI with a lot of transparency effects will run noticably slower.

You also should think about the advantages of Yosemite compared to Mavericks for your personal workflow. Some features (like Handoff to an iPhone or iPad won’t work, because they require a newer Bluetooth version.

I recomend waiting for the final release and then asking your question in some forums again. This way you could get an realistic feedback of what to expect from Yosemite on your machine. Then you could decide either to upgrade or to buy a new(er) Mac.
McMillfromGer9512.08.1410:43
Thanks, cybermike and krypton. I didn't know that the continuity features won't work on my Mac! There is no real use in upgrading the Mac then, because as you said the graphic card is on its limit! Perhaps they will make a version with fewer graphic effects for the old devices like they did with the iOS versions. I will wait until there are more experiences and then I'll decide whether I'm going to upgrade or whether I stay with mavericks

Kommentieren

Diese Diskussion ist bereits mehr als 3 Monate alt und kann daher nicht mehr kommentiert werden.