Push-Nachrichten von MacTechNews.de
Würden Sie gerne aktuelle Nachrichten aus der Apple-Welt direkt über Push-Nachrichten erhalten?
Forum>Hardware>Powermac G5 Dual 2.0 with Tiger keeps on crashing ... !

Powermac G5 Dual 2.0 with Tiger keeps on crashing ... !

OrchestraHit01.10.0513:46
hi there,

i just bought the latest g5 dual 2.0 unit that ships with tiger. i am running the tascam us-122 with it as well as cubase sl.
my problem is:
the computer freezes while starting a single program from time to time. this does not necessarily have to be always the same program. for example i experienced this with itunes, with safari and even with the "systemeinstellungen".
so, the computer starts this program but does not complete loading. the symbol in the dock keeps on jumping and the program can´t be launched. this does not affect programs still running in background though. but if i want to start new programs such as itunes etc. some of them will experience the same problem... so i usually end up with several symbols jumping in the dock and i am not able to restart the computer by software, but have to force a hardware reset.
another aspect or problem is: this scenario does not occur every day, but only once or twice a week usually which makes it hard to clarify this situation or to show it /prove it to the local dealer!

i am absolutely not sure where the following problem comes from, it could be either hardware, the new os, or the drivers of the connected devices such as: tascam us-122 interface, cubase sl dongle, brother 1430 printer (per usb) or canon lide 20 scanner which might cause interference with apple drivers. Any ideas / hints?

i can exclude following components: the main board (logic board) was already echanged by apple and ist absolutely new, so this automatically has renewed all the connections in the unit. also the graphic card was replaced by a new one and it can´t be a problem of the harddiscs (i have two of the original 160 gb drives), since i experienced this problem after an installation of tiger on both drives!

so what else could it be? any suggestions?
as far as hardware is concerned i think the only things left are ram and the processor units, is that correct? or is there anything more in the alu-case that might cause trouble?

greetings from northern germany.

OrchestraHit

Kommentare

pizzaschachtel
pizzaschachtel01.10.0513:54
did you run a hardware test using apples hardwaretest cd, have you ever tried to repair the privileges with apples disk utility? maybe this helps.
OrchestraHit01.10.0513:57
hi, thanks for your quick answer.

yes: repairing privileges did not help and yes again: i have also run the hardware test in full which did not find anything.
this really makes me feel lost.
greetz.

OH
Yggdrasil01.10.0514:02
OrchestraHit : Hast du unsere Muttersprache verlernt? Oder ist es einfacher das Problem in Englisch zu verfassen?
rofl
rofl01.10.0514:03
Could you please take a look at console? (/Applications/Utilites/Console).
Perhaps there are some error messages.

Also click on "Protocols" and change in the left bar between "system.log" and "error.log"
Yggdrasil01.10.0514:07
Stimmt. Is schon verdammt früh heute:-D
Maxefaxe01.10.0514:19
Hhm. Gibt s nicht genug englischsprachige Macforen? (sichwunder)(?)
rofl
rofl01.10.0514:21
DQ, Ygg, Maxe
Wenn ihr nichts konstruktives Beitragen könnt...
_mäuschen
_mäuschen01.10.0514:26
mb bad ram ?
try MemtestOSX 4.11
more infos
Ataripapst01.10.0514:31
rofl

Irgendwie hat Maxefaxe aber recht.
_mäuschen
_mäuschen01.10.0514:36
GUI wrapper for the Memtest program
Zetaline
Zetaline01.10.0514:58
LOL

Ich las mir den Einganspost bis zum Schluß durch und verstand erst mal gar nichts. Dann bemerkte ich, das ist ja Englisch!?!

Sorry, einer musste den Witz doch bringen, oder?
„Auf der Verpackung stand: Erfordert IBM kompatiblen PC mit Windows oder besser. Also entschied ich mich für Mac + OS X = ♥“
MacMark
MacMark01.10.0515:05
I'm pretty sure some of your 3rd party device drivers won't be compatible with 10.4. Check for driver updates.
To narrow the problem you can remove all 3rd party drivers and hardware. Add them again one by one and check which one is causing the problem.
„@macmark_de“
OrchestraHit01.10.0516:13
hi, thanks so far.
console gives me the following:
"
Oct 1 10:35:11 power-mac-g5 configd[29]: target=enable-network: disabled
Oct 1 11:57:43 power-mac-g5 shutdown: halt by ...:
Oct 1 11:57:43 power-mac-g5 SystemStarter[208]: authentication service (216) did not complete successfully
Oct 1 11:57:45 power-mac-g5 SystemStarter[208]: The following StartupItems failed to properly start:
Oct 1 11:57:45 power-mac-g5 SystemStarter[208]: /System/Library/StartupItems/AuthServer
Oct 1 11:57:45 power-mac-g5 SystemStarter[208]: - execution of Startup script failed
"
This is not because of the described incidence (see above) but an error message that seems to repeat all the time. Does this have to say anything?

Und noch was in eigener Sache: Wo ist das Problem, dass ich hier mal ne Frage in Englisch reinschreibe? Steigert nunmal die Chance ne Antwort zu bekommen, da international. Verstehen tut´s doch auch jeder und überhaupt... bitte nicht so spießig anstellen. Apple-User sollten sich doch helfen.

Concerning the hardware: Is there anything more besides the mainboard, the hard discs and graphics card that can be defect? I can only see the ram or the processors or is there any more card / device in there?

Greetz,

OH
Mr BeOS
Mr BeOS01.10.0516:28
I would think that it might be a problem with the tascam driver. You should ask at tascam if they work properly.

BTW. ?Hablas espanol? O:-):-)
„http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggCODBIfWKY ..... “Bier trinkt das Volk!“ - Macht Claus Nitzer alkoholfrei“
OrchestraHit01.10.0516:45
muchas gracias,

tascam claims everything is fine with the driver for the us-122 under tiger.
however i have my doubts... it works that´s right... but, maybe there is still a problem?... i can´t tell so far... still testing (for 3 months already now)...
maybe i should have waited for the new dual dual-core g5s in the first place which are to come within the next weeks...

cheers.

oh
Don Quijote01.10.0514:00
Wasn´t there a Firmware patch, for the fans and little probs… DId you allready patch it ?

The ram also could be a prob…
Don Quijote01.10.0514:01
BTW. What are you doing on a german Mac site ?
Don Quijote01.10.0514:04
Um 11.00 h plus schon verlust der Muttersprache ?
Don Quijote01.10.0516:49
the dual 2 Ghz, proofed to be stable from comments in this Box…

Kommentieren

Diese Diskussion ist bereits mehr als 3 Monate alt und kann daher nicht mehr kommentiert werden.